How to create a website on shopify simple ecommerce website step by step
What is a Shopify platform ?
Shopify is one of the very important platforms that has witnessed a different success in recent years, which all people seek to profit from and create website on , and here comes the question how to set up a Shopify store, so I present to you how to set up a Shopify store very easily and in a few steps.
How to set up your own online store on Shopify
First, register on Shopify for the Shopify website
- Use the existing forms to sign up for account creation .
- You will see several details required of you, enter them, and then click Create Your Store Now button .
- You must choose a unique name that is not repeated and do not worry if you cannot choose a name, the site will provide you with some of the proposed names .
- Then, it will show you a set of additional details that you must enter, which is your country, name, phone number and address, and it will also ask you about the products that you will use in your store .
Get started with your online store settings
When you register a store on Shopify platform, the site will direct you to the store manager page and so you are ready to customize your store’s appearance, upload your products, and set up shipping and payments .
On this page you will find everything you need to know , how to operate your store .
Choose your store design ( Theme ) on Shopify
- You can choose a template from the existing and guaranteed Shopify templates that are available with full technical support from the platform so that you are completely confident that your account is in good hands .
- There is a wide range of templates and designs with modifications that you can make in these templates without the need for programming instructions and very distinctive templates and designs in addition to that they contain other features and additions that you enjoy and make it easy for you to deal with, meaning that you can create a wonderful store in addition to a free design .
- If you want to make major changes in the design there are some simple limitations that you must achieve .
- First, there are software modification settings available in the store, and this platform contains a global path specialized in development and design so that you can enjoy more until you find the template design that suits your needs .
- You should browse the Shopify templates store after you log in to the store and after you visit the template store there, you will find about 180 designs , enjoy them and choose what suits you and in these designs a very wide range of free designs , you can choose the right one for you, whether it is paid or free.
- You can choose the template that best suits your store based on popularity, ratings and specialization .
- Check the features of the template and the ratings on it . When you find a template you like, click on the image of its template, it will show you a set of information about this theme , and you can browse the template as live view and then scroll down until you can read reviews about this template from its previous users .
- Preview the live template , (the template that you have chosen), click on the word “Demo” in green, you will find there are many layouts and different shapes , and here you will find whether it is special or not and whether it is suitable for you or not.
- After choosing the template that is unique to you and that you liked, click on the green button, in this case the store will ask you to confirm whether this template is installed or not .
- In the template manager, you will find all the templates that have been installed, whether the active template or any other templates you have added at any time.
- You will choose the installation , and if you are not 100% sure of this design, there is no need to worry. You can change your mind later after installing the theme , by repeating the same previous steps in choosing the template.
Edit Shopify Settings
- The majority of Shopify’s themes allow you to make simple changes that can dramatically change the look of your store , so you can rest assured that you won’t end up with a website that looks like a copy of thousands of other stores.
- In Control Panel, select “Themes” from the left side navigation menu.
- On this page you will see the live template in a box at the top, and in the upper left corner of this box there will be two buttons. The first one of the three points, which gives you some changes in the basic settings. One of these allows you to make a duplicate of the template. I highly recommend that you do this in case you made some changes that you don’t like, then you can delete the repetition and start over.
- The second button says “Customize Template”. If you click on that you will be taken to a page that controls all the basic functions of your store. This is the time for you to play comprehensively with the settings and test all the features so you can see what your site can do.
Additional features in most of the existing templates include:
- Download Logos
- Download sliders (animated images) on the home page
- Add function related items to product pages
- Choose the number of items that appear on each line of the product section pages
- color schemes
- Font options.
Some templates also allow you to reposition items on pages such as displaying product images to the left, right, or center of the page. You can also choose whether you want to display the buttons of social sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus.
Add your products to the store
Once again, navigate from the bar on the left select “Products”. You will then see a blue “Add a product” button at the top right of the page. Use the next screen to add as much detail about your products as possible. Look especially at the ones that will help with search engine optimization such as the name, description and website address. You can also include as much detail about the variables as possible to help inform customers about your products.
This screen is also where you download product images. After you upload the photos, you can rearrange them so you don’t have to worry about uploading them in any particular order.
Images are an important factor in encouraging customers to buy , so be sure to display your products at their best and highlight any special or unique features with close-ups. To keep your store tidy, we suggest that you keep all images with the same dimensions. Unless of course you plan to make your product pages look like Pinterest.
After filling everything out, always remember to click on the Save Product button in the right and bottom corners.
Create sections ( Categories of products)
Categories are any group of products that have some common features that customers might look for when visiting your store. For example, your customers might be shopping for:
- Clothes for men, women or children
- Items of a certain type, such as lamps, pillows, or rugs
- Items for sale
- Items in a certain size or color
- Seasonal products such as holiday cards and decorations.
The same product can be in several sections, you can display the sections on your home page and in the main top menu of the site. This helps customers find what they’re looking for without having to click through the full catalog.
Manual and automatic sections
When you add a new section, you can decide how products are added to it. These are the two options:
- Manual – You can add and remove products in the Manual sections individually.
- Automatically – You can set up selection conditions to automatically include products that meet certain criteria.
Payment Gateway allows you to receive payments from your customers via your website . Pricing and commission rate are important, but it is also important to know what features you offer. Not all payment gateways are created the same You should consider the following when choosing the right payment gateway for you.
- Transfer fee
Some portals keep a small percentage or flat fee (or sometimes both) to allow you to use their service. Compare these based on what your sales are expected to be.
- Card types
You should know what types of cards are accepted by your chosen payment gateway. All accept Visa and MasterCard, while most accept American Express. Paypal has also become popular for online payments.
- Off-site exit
Some gateways will take payments on their servers via their own form. This means that the customer will make the payment in the form provided by your payment gateway. They are then redirected to your confirmation page once the customer has paid successfully. This allows you to have more control over the checkout process. You can now circumvent Shopify’s limitations in that it doesn’t allow you to customize the checkout process other than CSS.
Payment gateway transaction fees are on top of Shopify’s transaction fees. However, as of November, stores located in the US and UK can use payment gateways depending on your Shopify plan, you can save on these additional costs. For your plan, you will receive these very attractive rates.
If you live in the US or UK, your store will automatically use Shopify Payments. To complete this, click on the “Complete Payify Payments Account Setup” button located in Settings > Payments. If you want to use an external gateway, you can use the “enable payment gateways” link on the same page.
Get an online store “LIVE”
Before your site becomes available on the web, you need to add some additional details about your company and how you plan to make deliveries and pay taxes .
Make sure to fill out all of your business information on this page. Also, be sure to use the Google Analytics feature. This can be an invaluable resource for keeping track of your visitors in the store.
- Go to “Products page” in Control Panel.
- Click on a specific product name.
- Scroll down to the section called “Inventory & variants”.
- Click the edit link next to your product variants to open the edit window.
- Make sure the checkboxes are checked next to Taxes charged with shipping, and Shipping required if you need to include it with your products.
- Some stores will not need to charge tax or shipping on products such as digital goods. On the other hand, a T-shirt store will likely need to charge both.
- If you plan to ship your product to customers, be sure to enter the weight of the product in the appropriate field.
If your shipping rates are too tight, or you are not given enough options, you may lose some sales. Shopify will calculate the shipping rate for customers based on the rules you define on the admin shipping page. To make sure you don’t lose any sales:
- From the Store Control Panel, go to the Settings > Shipping page.
- In the “Shipping rates” section, look to see if you have set a weight-based shipping rate and adjust it to your product specifications.
Test your order system
- To test your system you can simulate a transaction using the Bogus portal in Shopify.
- To use the Bogus portal:
- From your store control panel, click on “Settings”, then “Payments” to go to the “Payments settings”
- If a credit card payment gateway is enabled, deactivate it before continuing. (Click Edit, then Deactivate, then confirm deactivation.)
- In the Accept Credit Cards section, click Select Credit Card Gateway to open the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down the list to Other, then click (to test) Bogus Gateway.
- Click Activate (or Reactivate, if you’ve used the Bogus Gateway before).
- Go to your storefront and place an order as a customer. At checkout, enter the following credit card details in place of the real numbers:
Real transaction payment gateway test:
- Make sure to set up the payment gateway you want to test.
- Make a purchase from your store as a customer, and complete the payment with real credit card details.
- You can cancel the order immediately, get a refund, and avoid paying transaction fees.
- Log in to the payment gateway to make sure the money has gone through.
Is this free ?
Yes – just make sure to cancel the order and return it shortly after placing it.
If the billing cycle registers after you submit your test application but before you cancel it, the transaction fee will appear on your bill. You can still cancel after you’ve paid your bill to Shopify, but you’ll receive the refund as a transaction balance in your account. You can use transaction balances to pay future transaction fees.
Consider buying a domain name
To get your site live, you’ll need a domain name. You have two options for this. First, you can purchase a domain from Shopify and it will be added to your store automatically. This saves you time, especially if you have no knowledge of hosting a website. These domains typically cost between $9 and $14 per year. Your second option is to purchase a domain from a third party such as GoDaddy. These domains start at $1.99/year. The downside is that you will have to forward the DNS records yourself which can seem daunting at first.
If you are unable to come up with a good domain name, read tips on how to choose a .
Here are the steps for placing your new Shopify store directly on a third-party domain name.
Add the new domain in Shopify
In the Shopify admin panel, from the left bar go to Settings then Domains and add your domain name using the ‘Add an existing domain’ button.
Update DNS records
- Log in to your domain registrar and make the following changes to the DNS records:
- Replace the main “@” or A record with the following IP address: “22.214.171.124”
Add or replace www CNAME with storename.myshopify.com (i.e. your Storeify Shop link without http, which you can see on the domains settings page)
- Remove any store passwords
- Otherwise, no one will be able to access your site even once it is published.
- Set primary if appropriate
- In Settings > Domains, you can choose your main domain using the dropdown menu at the top of the screen:
Also, be sure to check “Redirect all traffic to this domain”. This means that all visitors to other domains will be directed to your primary domain. This is critical to SEO.
And that is all there is to it. In theory, you can have a great, unique store fully functional in less than half an hour without having to be a web expert. This way, you can spend most of your time marketing your product instead of having to maintain the site.
Alternatives to Shopify?
You can use WooCommerce from WordPress to create a great niche store and it won’t cost you more money unlike Shopify store .
How to create a website on shopify simple ecommerce website step by step